February 17, 2012

Four-Leaf Clover Door Decor

I have found a few four-leaf clovers in my day and upon doing so smiled. They are said to bring good luck.

This wreath is made using clippings from two shrubs in our front yard. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic states February is the month that you should be trimming your rose bushes and other shrubs. Not all shrubs though. You want to stay away from Azaleas and other similar shrubs or you'll be cutting off your spring blooms.

This is what I made with those clippings...

It is said that St. Patrick used the three-leaf clover or the shamrock to teach about the Trinity (the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit) to the Irish people. I love that little piece of history. I also read that each of the four leaves on a four-leaf clover are symbolic for FAITH, HOPE, LOVE and last but not least LUCK. With that said I am quite happy to be hanging this little symbol on my door through Saint Paddy's Day which is Saturday, March 17th.

Do you believe in luck? I believe good things are a combination of hard work, creativity, relationships and prayer. Although it is fun to think that finding a four-leaf clover in the middle of a patch of three-leaf clovers would bring me some kind of good fortune.

If you would like to make a four-leaf clover for your door or anywhere else in your home for that matter this is what you will need:


1. Clippings from Your Shrubs

All of the items listed below can be found in the floral section of your local craft store.
2. Floral Stem Wrap Tape
3. Aluminum Floral Wire (I used 12 gauge)
4. Green 24 GA 1/4 LB. Wire
5. Wide Satin Ribbon (I scored on this and got several rolls that were clearanced out for $1 a piece)
6. Wire Clippers and heavy duty scissors for trimming greenery (not pictured)

Using the 12 gauge, copper colored, aluminum floral wire create your shape being sure to coil and wrap tightly in the center so each part stays attached and doesn't separate once you start attaching the greenery.

Once you've got your wire shaped the way you would like it to be start cutting your greenery into roughly 4" pieces and then remove the bottom leaves from each clipping, bundle 4-5 pieces together and wrap tightly using the floral tape. You will need a LOT of these little bundles. So bundle, bundle, bundle!



Here's where you turn around and take a picture of your wee one's playing with game pieces from a topple game, getting into your spice cabinet and finding a lost candy cane from Christmas to get sugared-up on! Ah yes and in the background you will see hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll dough patiently waiting for the oven to preheat. The lunch of champions! Mmmm.... not so much.


Back to the wreath. Then using the green wire start attaching the bundles. Keep the wire one continuous piece and then layer the bundles, one over the other, while you continue to tightly wrap around the aluminum form.


Plan the direction that the bundles will flow to make sure that the taped ends are always hidden.

And here's the final four-leaf clover...



Thanks for stopping by Blue Sky Confections!

I'm linking this project up to The 36th Avenue. Join the party and share your latest project.
I'm linking this project up to the weekend wrap-up party at Tatertots & Jello. Join me.

40 comments:

  1. Great wreath and tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is totally adorable! I wish I lived where you could actually use the greenery without getting stabbed like a million times. Instead, I will just admire yours. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! I love your step-by-step directions. Would you be willing to link this up to my Springtime Holiday Link Party going on now? I'd love to have you! http://michellepaige.blogspot.com/2012/02/springtime-holiday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I did link up.

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful wreath, wow! I think this is the prettiest St. Patrick's wreath I've seen and I especially love that you used live greenery. Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.... Janet you just made my day! Thank you! I figure if the shrubs need trimming I may as well use it for something pretty. Now the rose bushes on the other hand not so much. :~) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Awesome job. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Sheri! I appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks beautiful! I love that you used real greenery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How perfect and sweet! Love this project.
    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Lina! I'm starting to really love making wreaths. It's a pretty inexpensive way to spice up the entryway.

      Delete
  9. This is such an awesome idea and tutorial! I so love the story of St. Patrick using the shamrock to teach the Irish about the holy trinity! My husband is from Ireland so this is one of our favorite holidays! Would love it if you'd share this and other projects on my linky party Destination: Inspiration at Teagan's Travels.

    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/02/destination-inspiration-linky-party-3.html

    Thanks, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! When I read that I was so impressed.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love your wreath - St. Patty's is one I usually skip over but now I just may be in the spirit for a new wreath! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda, I usually do as well but I had to trim my shrubs while it's still a bit cold outside and decided I'd use the clippings for something pretty rather than throwing them out. Thanks for visiting!!!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful!! You did such an incredible job and the wreath looks amazing on your door!! LOVE LOVE!!

    www.uncommondesignsonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  12. I totally love everything about this wreath! I just made a St Patty's Day wreath, but my mind is dreaming of what else I could make with these...we have several of these bushes! Congrats on being featured at TT&J today! My St Pattty's Day burlap wreath was featured, too! I immediately saw yours and loved it!

    Have a great weekend.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda!!! I'm going to go check yours out right now!!!

      Delete
  13. Love this Wreath! We have our Kitchen Fun and Crafty Friday Link Party going on now and would love for you to share this! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/02/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. saw this on Pinterest and just had to stop by and say how awesome this is!!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda! I really appreciate that!!!

      Delete
  15. Wow, this is beyond fabulous!!! What a perfect idea for a lil St. Patty's day decor! Pinning this to try and attempt to make, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elena for pinning this! Happy St. Patty's to you!!!

      Delete
  16. You have totally inspired me! I have always been afraid to tackle a wreath made out of real greenery - after seeing this - I totally have to try it!

    I featured you today in my Friday I'm In Love Favorites!

    http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2012/03/friday-im-in-love-st-pattys-day-style.html

    - Jenn @ Social Salutations

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful wreath! I love how you used something from your yard...very creative. :) Your newest follower...Megan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this project. I hope you will stop by and link up to my St. Patty's Day Project Parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindy, I think I may have missed it. Thank you for the invite.

      Delete
  19. featured this today at my blog! www.kimboscrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute idea! I love how you used such simple things to make a huge impact. I am definitly pinning this. I may try and give it a go before St Patricks too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I sure hope you do give it a go! Good Luck! :~)

      Delete
  21. This is SO AWESOME!! I'm featuring it on my blog tomorrow: little-inspirations.blogspot.com Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brittany! I can't wait to see the feature!

      Delete
  22. Hey, great tutorial. I found you on Michelle Paige's linky party and I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing.
    I just found you thru Etsy - Kim's 101 St Patrick's Day ideas.
    I know, I'm a year late... but better than never! Now a new follower, too.
    Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog.
    ~ Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is my absolute favorite St. Patrick's day "wreath" I have seen! I love how it is so different from a traditional wreath. Also, being able to use your own plant trimmings is amazing. I have featured this on my blog! And I have just started following you on your blog. It is lovely! Kari

    http://thesweetestmemoryblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/sweetest-pin-shamrock-door-decor-wreath.html

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Related Posts with Thumbnails